Template information

Random post

The Homeschool Village - Dads



This week at The Homeschool Village is all about dads and their place in the homeschool. To be honest, I was planning to skip this week because I'm really not sure how to answer. With Jim having been gone all of last year, and us just getting started for this year, no one seems to be really sure how to make all the pieces fit together yet.

Last year I was the homeschool commando mom. Jim left in June to go to Afghanistan. We started school in August. When he came home in April, both girls had finished most of their curriculum, so we basically called ourselves done and took a long summer break. (Really, a little TOO long, but that's another post for another day.) So, last year I did all of the planning, purchasing, implementing, disciplining ... all of it. It started out pretty tough, but we found a system that worked for us; namely "let's please finish our work before mom LOSES.HER.MIND." You know, you do what works for you at the time. ;) In some aspects, last year was easier than normal. We had a set schedule because we weren't working around Jim's weird work schedule. Yes, I had to handle everything, but I have enough control freak in me to make that work. So, all in all, weird as it is to say this, last year worked out pretty well, at least as far as our homeschool went.

So now it's time for this year to begin, and some things needed to change with the curriculum we were using. The girls are getting older and we need to step it up in some areas. Jim is back home, back to the regular (weird) schedule. The strange thing is, it's like we're not all sure where we all fit now. Starting school again has shaken things up, and it's kind of like we're all confused. I'm here, so I'm still the purchaser, planner, and implementer, and I've pretty happily handed the disciplinarian role back over to Jim. And the flash card role. I don't enjoy that one so much, and neither does the one who needs the flash cards, so I'd rather just give up that whole chore. School is taking longer and more effort from me this year, which is adding another weird dimension to all of this. Time I would have spent doing things around the house is time I'm spending working with the girls this year, so there are also things around the house that need to be passed off to Jim as well.

So, the role of Dad in our school? I don't really think he knows, and neither do I. Maybe that's something we need to talk about in the very near future.

0 Response to "The Homeschool Village - Dads"

Post a Comment

wdcfawqafwef