Template information

Random post

Discoveries




When I saw these in the garden one evening recently I didn't know what they were. They have a resemblance to ladybugs but they certainly don't look like lady bugs. Then I had a lightbulb moment - maybe they are ladybug larvae!
A google search confirmed my suspicion.




I had never thought about lady bug larva before. The larvae hatch from tiny yellow eggs and shed their skin four times, changing appearance each time. I think these larvae are near the end of their changes, almost ready to pupate.




Late yesterday Little Miss E showed me "something strange" she had found low on a tree. It's a brand new adult ladybug just hatched from its pupa case!




When the adults first emerge their spots aren't visible, they apparently become visible over a few hours as their exoskeleton hardens.




The pupal stage lasts one to two weeks, which accounts for the spider web.




Early this morning I went looking for the ladybug but it had flown to a safer spot, leaving the empty pupa shell behind.




No spotty ladybugs today but I did find another spotty Oleander Butterfly feeding on our Duranta shrub.







As you may have guessed, I love butterflies!

Sharing at Saturday Sareenity.

0 Response to "Discoveries"

Post a Comment

wdcfawqafwef