Template information

Random post

Tea Sets and Cornflowers





My mother would have to be one of the most hospitable and generous persons I know. Despite living out in the country while we were growing up, she would often have people over for meals or a cuppa and a stroll around her garden, loading them up with plant cuttings, good home-cooked food and unconditional love.

Her two bone china made-in-Engand tea sets were in frequent use, my favourite one being this Kent and Taylor Cornflowers one.




Although I don't ever remember her growing cornflowers, she grew nearly anything else she could find, expanding into a green house and eventually selling plants locally.










Growing cornflowers (bachelors buttons) this season has been another first for me and I have delighted in each and every stage, having no idea what to expect - I love surprises!




When we bought our home 12 years ago, my mother gave me what remained of the cornflower tea set. I have always loved the simple yet beautiful flower design and also the wonderful rounded shape of the cups, sugar bowl and milk jug.

Last night I rang Mum to confirm the history of this tea set, it had been a wedding gift to my parents, just over 50 years ago (my father passed away two years ago). 

















It has been pleasing to discover that these flowers (natives of Europe) in real life are every bit as elegant yet simple as those depicted on the tea set, right down to the delightful rounded base of each flower. Somehow this makes the tea set even more special to me now.

Photographic note: Each of the close macro shots (#3,5,7,8,9) were taken with my  fixed lens Lumix camera + my "cheap" Raynox macro conversion lens. The remaining photos were taken with my Canon DSLR, the last with the same Raynox lens clipped onto the Canon 50mm lens.

Sharing at I Heart Macro, Macro Monday.

0 Response to "Tea Sets and Cornflowers"

Post a Comment

wdcfawqafwef