Template information

Random post

Reading Goals for 2013


I read a lot. It’s really my favorite hobby. I know I fit the stereotypical librarian mold, and I’m okay with that. When my hair was longer, I even put it up in a bun sometimes.

I’m still working on my goals for 2013 (which I was share with you sometime soon), but one of the goals I’ve decided on I’m going to share now. I decided that with as much as I read, I should really be more intentional about consuming a well-balanced diet of literature. The most fun genre for me is really young adult literature and what our library calls ‘junior’ literature. Junior literature is chapter books for kids ages 9-12. It’s stuff like Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Matilda by Roald Dahl and The Boxcar Children series and Harry Potter.

Anyway, so I like a lot of young adult and junior literature. I have so many books on my list that are adult literature or nonfiction, and I get to them so slowly. Plus, I’ve been trying to read all the books on our bookshelves at home for the past, oh, year and a half, and I’ve only been sort of disciplined about it.

I normally read about 50-75 books per year, so I set myself a list of 24. I figured that gave me plenty of wiggle room so I wouldn’t feel stifled by goals. Most of these are books that are on my shelves at home but a few are just books I’ve run across in the library.

Let me know if you’ve read any of the books listed and whether you’d recommend them!

Spiritual
Decision-making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View - Gary Friesen & J. Robin Maxson
When God Weeps – Joni Eareckson Tada & Steven Estes
Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art – Madeleine L’Engle
Reconciliation Blues: A Black Evangelical’s Inside View of White Christianity – Edward Gilbreath
The Bible Jesus Read – Philip Yancey

Financial
½ Price Living: Secrets to Living Well on One Income - Ellie Kay
Dave Ramsey’s Complete Guide to Money – Dave Ramsey

Health
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal - Eric Schlosser

Other Non-fiction
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America - Barbara Ehrenreich
The Mind’s Eye - Oliver Sacks
Bird by Bird – Anne Lamott
Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year - Anne Lamott
Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secrets of a Man's Soul - John Eldredge
The Silent Seduction of Self-Talk: Conforming Deadly Thought Patterns to the Word of God - Shelly Beach
Island of the Colorblind – Oliver Sacks

Biography
Surprised by Oxford - Carolyn Weber
Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West - Blaine Harden
Wait No More: One Family’s Amazing Adoption Journey - John Rosati & Kelly Rosati 
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings – Maya Angelou
Strength in What Remains – Tracey Kidder

Fiction
Left Neglected – Lisa Genova
Saint Maybe – Anne Tyler
The Sword in the Stone – T. H. White
Gone with the Wind – Margaret Mitchell

0 Response to "Reading Goals for 2013"

Post a Comment

wdcfawqafwef