Template information

Random post

The Perfect EPP Thread?




There is a new thread in my life! A few weeks ago I shared with you my thoughts and comparison of Sew All polyester thread by Gutermann with Bottom Line by Superior Threads, concluding that I preferred the Gutermann for number of reasons, despite the fact that it was thicker than Bottom Line thread

Shortly afterwards I was contacted by Gutermann, to inform me of a relatively new thread in their range - the Extra Fine Polyester. Gutermann Australia sent me two reels of Extra Fine for me to trial in my EPP.




I have been delighted with the qualities of the Extra Fine thread. It is decidedly finer than the Sew All but not as fine as Bottom Line. To be expected it's not as strong as the thicker Sew All thread yet is similar in strength to Bottom Line and also Gutermann's regular cotton thread. It is definitely stronger than Aurifil's 28wt cotton thread. I have not had the Extra Fine break at all during my sewing.




Guterman's Extra Fine has all the same tactile properties I prefer in a traditional thread over the wispy, slightly elastic/nylon feel of Bottom Line. This is just my personal preference, as detailed in the post mentioned above.






My stack of EPP flowers for my Fresh Fields quilt has gradually grown a little taller over the last few weeks, as has my pleasure in stitching with the addition of the new thread.







The Extra Fine polyester is designed for machine use, particularly for very fine fabrics (like Art Gallery, Liberty fabrics or synthetics), decorative stitching and of course for fine hand stitching such as in EPP and appliqué. 

As soon as I tried Gutermann's Extra Fine I wanted to know where I could buy more and what colours it came in. It is quite new and as yet hasn't been rolled out in the US. I know of one Australian online shop, Autumn Threads, which has only just this week received it's first stock of Extra Fine - in all 80 colours! Evelyn of Autumn Threads has a special free shipping/postage offer running this month on any first order of Extra Fine. Unfortunately Autumn Threads only offers shipping within Australia. So if you live in Australia and would like to try this thread for yourself, this is the perfect opportunity. It comes in a small reel but it holds 200m, making cheaper per metre than the regular Gutermann Sew All polyester.

For those who live outside Australia I have so far located only one source, MacCulloch and Wallis  in the UK. Their website lists 60 colours and their prices look excellent and shipping seems to be at cost.





I feeling like I'm treating myself to a little luxury every time I stitch with this beautiful fine thread, and if you look closely enough you can notice a small difference in the finished stitching too. It is indeed a welcome addition to my collection of threads. Now all I need to do is decide which colours of Extra Fine I would like to buy from Autumn Threads this month!


Sharing at Work In Progress Wednesday, Slow Sunday Stitching. 


0 Response to "The Perfect EPP Thread?"

Post a Comment

wdcfawqafwef