Template information

Random post

Silks and a Plus Finish




I thought this organic quilt was nearly finished as I stitched the binding by hand - but then I realised some more hand quilting would be wise, both for the the visual effect and to add to the stability of the quilt. I didn't have enough silk in the right grey so I have been using some 12wt cotton which I had on hand. As much as I really do like using 12wt cotton for decorative quilting I much prefer to use buttonhole silk in most instances.




The silk, in this case Gutermann's R 753 buttonhole twist silk, is stronger, smoother, has a higher sheen and retains it's lustre much better as you continue stitching with each length of thread than cotton does.  Yes, I DO love to stitch with silk......






I recently purchased two large reels of Gutermann silk, one in black and one in white, from Bay Tailor Supply in the US. I'm very much tempted to order some more reels/cobs of silk in gorgeous right bcolours, but which ones to choose?








This delightful 100% organic Plus small baby quilt from last week is now completed and in my Etsy shop - another satisfying finish. The front is made of Cloud 9's Cirrus solids in Limestone and Rain. The backing is Cloud 9's Arcadia, Flutterflies in Aqua. Scanfil organic threads used throughout. Miss E (6) bravely held this quilt for photos - more of which you can see in the Etsy listing.


Sharing at WIP Wednesday.

0 Response to "Silks and a Plus Finish"

Post a Comment

wdcfawqafwef